Thursday, July 18, 2013

Working with Pharmasim

I finally have had an opportunity to devote some time to the simulation. Going into my first run through of the simulation, I wanted to make sure that I first and foremost became familiar with how to use the simulation, properly executing decision, and all of the basics in using the program. I was trying not to concern myself too much with results, how effective my decisions were, and heavily scrutinizing where I went wrong. This would prove to be quite difficult as I progressed. Nonetheless, I've gained a better understanding of the simulation and its operation and have come away with a few different observations.

I Have No Clue How Long a Period Is

I tried to seek out the answer to this to no avail. I'm sure it's out there somewhere and I'm simply overlooking it. But what I was estimating a period to be seemed like a very low assumption to what it actually is. The most notable factor this is based on is the rate of inflation. Early on I paid little attention to raising the price until I finally realized just how quickly competitor's prices were rising and how far behind my prices were compared to them. Finally, I raised my prices a bit and when comparing them to the inflation rate, I was not even close. I now believe that these periods are much longer than the perhaps 1-3 months I had assumed. If not, I'd hate to see the cost of fuel.

Can't Forget About the Science Behind the Product

In adding a new product, I found that you had to start from scratch in every area of the simulation compared to making alternations to the Allround brand with suggestions already being made for you. It was in the advertising that I had the most trouble as it took me some time to figure out what I was supposed to be advertising. I guess I forgot that people with allergies tend to sneeze, feel congested, and have a runny nose because I neglected these other areas in advertising, solely focusing on the fact that the drug was intended to combat allergies. I now know more attention must be paid to ensuring that all treatments are properly covered in advertising.

Capacity is the 8th Wonder of the World

I was aware that in our simulation in particular, the ability to make changes to manufacturing capacity was taken away from us. What I was not aware of was how much of a frustration capacity would be. It seemed to me that every time I advanced, I was working over capacity and I was completely unaware of how to get back down below capacity. My original inclination was to begin discontinuing brands to get under capacity but just as I was about to take that step, more capacity was added. In no time, I was over that additional capacity. My initial thought is that it is a good thing that the company is increasing its manufacturing and increasing its sales but a company is also not capable of running over capacity for any kind of duration. I'm exactly sure what is triggering this to occur or how best to change it without eliminating brands altogether. Capacity is proving to be very frustrating, confusing, and annoying. Good thing I'll never experience any struggle like that in the workplace.

More to Learn

Mostly I have learned that there is a ways to go. Much more time needs to be spent working in the simulation to get a better feel for different actions. I need to devote more time to reading into the various information that has been given and connecting them to my decisions. At this stage, I know well enough how to operate and progress through the periods. Now it is time to be more conscious of exactly what decisions I'm making, their effect on the company, and analyzing the results I achieve. I'm eager to begin the "Try This!" so I can go into the simulation with a little better direction than I previously had.

No comments:

Post a Comment